Latvia Osteoporosis Patient and Invalid Association
World Osteoporois Day events in Latvia
In attempt to raise awareness of the silent epidemic, Latvia Osteoporosis Patient and Invalid Association, during the Osteoporosis Prevention and Help (OPH) month (October 20 – November 20, 2004):
- gave a chance for more than 2000 people to test BMD with 40% discount all across the country. A growing circle of osteoporosis-competent medical professionals is providing valuable advice and necessary treatment for those ready to fight the crippling disease;
- started OPH clubs – self-support groups, providing specialists and helping patients to help themselves. A whole net of OPH clubs is developing on basis of well organised senior citizen and patient organisations;
- had more than 30 articles in newspapers and magazines regarding osteoporosis;
- broadened cooperation with other patient organisations – potential osteoporosis patients,
- started regular (hopefully) trips with an ultrasound BMD measurement devices to remote parts of the country, providing also the doctor’s advice.
And all that was possible thanks to unconditional financial support from MSD!
The WOD 2004 activities followed another exciting event in January 2004: A roundtable discussion on osteoporosis which was attended by former US Secretary of State Madeline Albright
Back to Society News