Name of education programme
The POPSI School Milk Program
Palestinian Osteoporosis Prevention Society
Dr. Elias Saba
Palestinian Osteoporosis Prevention Society (P.O.P.S.)
P.O. Box 100
Description of the programme
A P.O.P.S. nutritionist visited children in schools in the Bethlehem district. The nutritionist spends 1:30-2:00 hours in each school and delivers the following education material to teachers and children:
- Flyers on the importance of milk intake for children entitled 'Popsi flyer'
- Brochures on the importance of milk, for the whole family, to be taken home.
- Brochures on 'milk and pregnancy' and 'calcium-rich recipes' are given to teachers for parents who are interested.
- A 'Popsi poster' is hung up in each classroom.
- An impact paper 'Popsi mission' is distributed and completed by each child and collected one week later for the nutritionist to evaluate. It assesses their milk intake on a 'prior to visit' and 'post visit' basis.
- A talk is given by the nutritionist on the importance of calcium intake during childhood.
- The 'Popsi song' and 'Posi video cartoon' are then shown to the children.
Is the programme still running?
This is a pilot project that will be re-evaluated after six months with a possibility to extend the project to other districts in Palestine based on its success.
Primary school children (boys and girls) and, indirectly, their parents.
Has the programme been approved by your scientific advisory committee?
Type of information and material available
Leaflets and brochures described above are available in Arabic.
Available here for downloading:
Leaflet on importance of milk intake (PDF, 249.5 KB)
Prevention leaflet (PDF, 210.6 KB)
Poster (PDF, 492.5 KB)
Are you willing to provide material and advice to other IOF members?
Languages in which the material is available
Is the programme suitable for other countries?